When your washing machine smells less like detergent and more like rotting food, then it could be an issue you have overlooked. It might be a simple fix or require maintenance and clearing of your sewage pipe.
ICE Cleaning is a professional sewage cleaning company that can help eliminate these issues quickly. Its expert sewage cleaners could be on-site within hours in an emergency and use industry-leading technology to rectify your problems. Read on to find out why your washing machine smells.
How to maintain your washing machine
The easiest way to prevent any clogged drains and increase the longevity of your washing machine is to maintain it often. Most people don’t realise that their washing machines require plenty of care, and here are some things you can do to keep them clean.
Give it a maintenance wash:
- Put washing machine cleaning solution in the appliance
- Use the ‘cotton’ or ‘gentle’ wash cycle
- Adjust the temperature to the hottest setting
- Start the cycle
- Afterwards, pull back the seals and wipe away debris or dirty water
- Leave the door open to dry it out
Clean the detergent drawer:
- Take out the drawer
- Remove any detachable compartments
- Soak and scrub in warm, soapy water
- Clean the drawer slot of debris and dirty water
Clean the washing machine filter:
- Place towels on the floor
- Remove the cover at the bottom of the machine
- Unscrew the filter to let the water drain
- Put the filter under hot water to wash
- Repeat every 4-6 weeks
What to do if your washing machine smells
There could be several reasons your washing machine smells, and they might not require professional intervention just yet. When your washing machine begins to smell like rotting eggs, then this is always a cause for alarm, which is why you should follow these steps when in doubt:
- Clear out anything stuck in the door seal
- Look at the drain plug and filter to see if it’s clogged or leaking
- Thoroughly clean your machine, the detergent drawer, and the filter
- Clean the inner drum with vinegar and water
A rotting smell could also indicate significant bacteria build-up in your machine or that you are using too much detergent in your washes. Adjust your cleaning routine and maintain your washing machine to prevent this smell in the future.
Why you should hire a professional
A more sinister reason is that your sewage pipe is clogged and requires professional intervention. When this happens, the gas and waste come up through the drain of your machine thus causing the smell. Do not attempt to clean this yourself because it could threaten your health and cause illness. ICE Cleaning provides sewage cleaning experts that are qualified to deal with biohazard cleans like this. Its technicians are available 24/7, 365 days a year, and you can get a free, no-obligation quote today. Find out more about their variety of services here.