Purchasing a new TV is always an exciting experience. However, in order to truly enjoy your new TV, you must ensure that you place and install it properly. Deciding where to place a TV can be a confusing experience.
You have to pick a place that is central, convenient, and does not disrupt the decor of your living space.
Mount It to the Wall!
Here at TV Install Atlanta, we suggest our clients mount their TVs on the wall. Mounting your TV to the wall is convenient as it only takes up space on your wall. This way you don’t have to buy a separate TV console which can actually be quite expensive. Mounting a flat screen TV also gives you a great view while watching and elevates your viewing experience.
Can You Do It by Yourself?
You may be wondering if it’s possible to mount a TV on your own, well yes! After years of experience as TV installation experts, we have developed an easy to follow and step-by-step guide so you can mount a TV on your own. This will save you the cost and hassle of hiring a professional. However, it is important to be extremely careful while handling a TV during the mounting process. A small misstep can prove to be costly for you if you end up damaging your TV!
Here is how you can easily mount your TV.
- The first step is to decide where you want to mount your TV. If you are placing it in your living room then the obvious choice is to mount it on a wall where it can be viewed easily by a maximum number of people. In case you have a low console or fireplace, you can choose to mount the TV above them as they tend to be the centerpieces of most living rooms. It’s important to be sure about the location as moving the TV later is a hassle and can even ruin your wall.
- Once you have decided the place, use a stud finder to locate the studs in your wall. After locating the studs, mark them with tape or a pencil so you can easily recognize the position. While you may be tempted to directly install your TV to the drywall, this is a bad decision and will not provide your TV with enough support.
- This step gets slightly technical. You need to drill pilot holes into the wall to install the mounting screws. The best way to do this is by placing the mount against the wall, marking where you need to drill the holes, and then drilling based on these marks. It’s important to mark carefully and accurately as you do not want to ruin your wall.
- Now simply install your mount by drilling the screws into the holes you have just drilled. Make sure you do this properly and the mount is fixed in place so it can hold your TV reliably.
- Since the mount is in place, you can now start handling the TV. Most TVs come with stands, so remove those first.
- Check the back of your TV for attachment holes, these might be sealed or screwed, so make sure you open them. Now attach the plate to the back of the TV.
- Now comes the tricky part where you need to be extra careful! Pick up the TV and line up its mounting plate with the mounting bracket you have already installed on the wall. Your TV may have specific instructions based on the model so make sure you read and follow those.
After following these 7 steps you have successfully mounted your TV and can now enjoy a great entertainment experience! While the above method is foolproof, it requires you to install spuds which necessarily means you will have to drill holes in your wall.
Alternative Mounting Ideas!
In case for some reason you cannot drill holes in your wall or do not want to mount your TV with spuds, here are some alternatives:
Anchors are the most reliable alternative if you choose not to use spuds. You simply have to drill a hole, insert the sleeve and then slide the anchor inside. When the anchor is locked into place, you can easily mount your TV on it. Anchors are quite sturdy and will provide your TV with appropriate support.
Molly Bolts are types of anchors and are also known as toggle bolts. They essentially look like regular screws but are unique because they come with a butterfly toggle on the end. The butterfly toggle attaches to the back of your drywall which means it is centered on the entire sheet of drywall. You must place the molly bolts into the wall, remove the screws and place the screws for your TV instead and then carefully mount the TV. While molly bolts are generally a reliable option, they can have their limitations and you should be careful if your TV is extraordinarily heavy.
Mounting plates may not be an obvious choice as they are not exactly visually appealing but they are quite reliable! You can also try and look for one that goes with the decor of your living space. Mounting plates are usually made of either metal or plywood. Installing one on your wall gives more space to install more anchors so your TV has extra support even without spuds! While these methods may seem easy to follow, handiwork like mounting TVs is not for everyone. In case you are not familiar with using tools and have little experience with handiwork, we would recommend you seek the services of a professional.
Call in the Pros!
TV Install Atlanta s a great option if you are looking for someone in the Atlanta area. By leaving things to professionals, you don’t have to worry about any accidents and the possibility of ruining your wall. A professional will also be able to assess which mounting method works best for your wall. Good luck with your TV mounting!