Anyone who owns a large home knows that maintenance is not an easy task. Home maintenance can take up a lot of time and a lot of effort, but it is necessary for a long-lasting and properly functioning home. We understand that home maintenance has to be done, but it doesn’t have to be super difficult, in fact, if you know the right hacks and tricks you can actually save a lot of time during maintenance and make your job easier and more fun.
Most people aren’t aware of such hacks and tricks. So, here is a list of some amazing and super effective home maintenance hacks that will help you a lot in your day to day life and make home maintenance much easier for you.
One of the biggest problems that people have to face during home maintenance is the unavailability of ample storage space. This problem is especially serious and challenging if you have a relatively smaller home. Following are some basic and simple storage hacks that will allow you to maximize the potential of your apartment or home:
- Make use of unconventional storage spaces.
- Make a dresser with drawers under the bed.
- Use the space under the stairs to make a cupboard.
- Add hooks and small shelves to the doors of cupboards to increase storage space.
- Use elegant baskets for storage.
- Increase the usage of vertical space and make a lot of shelves.
- Use magnetic racks to hold kitchen utensils.
- Use hanging shoe racks behind cupboard doors to store more than just shoes.
- Put double bars in your closets.
- Use plastic containers to keep things organized.
Food preparation and kitchen maintenance is a major part of home maintenance, and it is one of the most time-consuming parts of a home maintenance routine. There are many simple hacks that will optimize your performance in the kitchen. Here are a few that you can try.
- To check if your eggs are fresh and good to eat, place them gently in some cold water. If the eggs sink, they are good to eat. Otherwise, they should be avoided.
- Use eggshells to take out the bits of the shell that fall into the bowl.
- Put some lemon juice on cut fruit to prevent browning.
- Place plastic wrap in the fridge to make it easier to clean.
- Freeze cheese blocks before grating them.
- Easily wash blenders by running them with water and a little dish soap.
- Peel garlic easily by crushing it with the side of the knife.
- Drill a small hole on the bottom of the trash can to stop trash bags from getting stuck.
- Freeze onions before chopping to prevent tears, or you can use a slice of bread to absorb the irritating fumes before they reach your eyes.
- Make buttermilk at home by adding a tablespoon of lemon juice in regular milk.
After the kitchen, one of the most time-consuming tasks of home maintenance is cleaning up.
Here are some amazing cleaning hacks that will make things easier for you:
- Pour hot water down the kitchen drains to avoid grease buildup.
- Use basil leaves to repel cockroaches.
- Buy robot vacuum cleaners to get the floor cleaned effortlessly.
- Use a pillow cast to clean ceiling fans so that the dust doesn’t fall on the tables and other furniture.
- Buy a soap dispenser and dish brush to make dishwashing easier.
- Use Coca-Cola to open up clogged drains, a mixture of baking soda and vinegar also works effectively.
- Keep separate sets of shoes for the inside of the home to keep it cleaner.
- Use a tong wrapped with paper towels to clean blinds easily and effectively.
- Use a squeegee to get pet hair off the couch.
- Use spray bottles instead of a bucket of water to avoid an unnecessary mess when cleaning windows and furniture.
Washing clothes is also quite a time-consuming job, especially if there are a lot of kids in the house. Kids can go through a lot of outfits in a week, and they can get some serious stains on their clothes.
Here are some hacks that will help you in the laundry:
- Use talcum powder or chalk to get rid of oil and food stains.
- Put synthetic vinegar in a cleaning load to make the fabric softener and get rid of lingering odors.
- Use hairspray to get rid of ink stains.
- Soak your whites in a pot of lemon boiled water and dry them in the sun for increased brightness and cleaning.
- Un-shrink, shrunken clothes by placing in a tub of warm water mixed with simple hair conditioner.
Get a Water Softener
Water softening is the process of removing minerals like calcium and magnesium and certain other additives that are found in hard water. A great and simple hack that helps in a lot of home maintenance tasks is installing a water softener. You may be wondering how a water softener is going to make maintenance easier. Well, soft water doesn’t damage water tanks and the boiler of the heating system and water heater. It is also better than hard water for your hair and skin.
Soft water also makes soaps and detergents more efficient so that you have to use less for the same job. Soft water also keeps your plumbing safe, and it doesn’t cause rusting of pipes, and it does not make watermarks on the bathroom tiles and faucets. Hence, a water softener is an essential item for a well maintained and properly functioning home.
Get a Home Automation System
Another modern and excellent way to make your day to day tasks easier at home is to install a home automation system, not only does that amazing technology gives your home a futuristic and luxury touch, it also makes it a lot more convenient.
You can connect your home automation system to an AI assistant like Alexa from Amazon to control your home with voice commands. A home automation system is an amazing addition to your home, which will make it a lot more fun and exciting.