Office chairs are essential in workplaces, and even in our homes, as they provide us with comfort and support all day long. But over time, these beloved chairs can start to wear and become stained, dirty or even smelly.
In this step-by-step guide, we will discuss how to clean your office chair effectively and efficiently, ensuring that it remains in top condition. This article will cover various methods and materials for cleaning, as well as 8 essential steps to achieve a thoroughly cleaned office chair.
Determine Your Chairs Material
Before you begin cleaning your office chair, it is important to first determine the type of material it is made of. Materials commonly used in office chairs include:
- Fabric: Most office chairs are upholstered in fabric, which is typically easy to clean but may require a bit of extra care to avoid damaging the material.
- Mesh: Office chairs made with mesh provide considerable breathability, but can easily trap dust and dirt in the small openings.
- Leather: These office chairs are usually more expensive and require specific cleaning techniques to maintain their elegant appearance.
Gather the Right Cleaning Supplies
Depending on the material of your office chair, gather necessary cleaning supplies that will effectively clean the chair without causing any damage. Here are some common cleaning supplies needed for various chair materials. Additionally, you may need a bucket or large bowl for water, a small brush for hard-to-reach spots, and a dry cloth or towel for drying the chair.
Perform a Spot Test
Before you begin cleaning the entirety of your office chair, it is crucial to perform a spot test on a small, inconspicuous area of the chair. This will ensure that the cleaning method and materials being used do not cause damage or discoloration. If the tested spot remains unchanged after cleaning and drying, you can safely proceed with the entire chair.
Dust and Vacuum the Chair
Dust, dirt, and debris accumulate on the office chair constantly, and vacuuming is the most efficient way to remove these particles. Use the vacuum cleaner brush attachment to properly clean the chair’s surface, focusing on crevices, seams, and edges. For mesh chairs, you may need to use a soft brush to gently rub the material and loosen embedded dirt. After vacuuming, be sure to also clean the wheels, armrests, and base of your chair.
Clean the Entire Chair
Having spot-cleaned stains, it is now time to clean the entire surface of your office chair:
- Fabric: Use the same solution of mild detergent and warm water that was previously mixed. Dampen a cloth or sponge in the solution and gently wipe the entire fabric surface. Rinse the cloth in clean water, wring it out and wipe the surface again to remove soap residue. Allow the chair to air dry.
- Mesh: Use the soapy water and a small brush to gently scrub the entire mesh surface. Wipe with a clean, damp cloth and allow it to air dry.
- Leather: Use the leather cleaner and a microfiber cloth to gently clean the chair’s surface in a circular motion. Wipe with a slightly damp, separate microfiber cloth and allow it to air dry.
Apply a Conditioning Treatment to Leather Chairs
If you have a leather office chair, it is a good idea to apply a leather conditioner after cleaning. This not only helps to protect and maintain the chair’s appearance, but also prevents the leather from drying out and cracking. Apply a small amount of leather conditioner to a microfiber cloth and gently massage it into the chair’s surface. Allow the conditioner to absorb and dry for 15 to 30 minutes. Finish by buffing the chair with a clean, dry microfiber cloth to bring out its natural shine.
Clean Office Chair Accessories
Don’t forget about the accessories of your office chair, such as armrests, headrests, and lumbar supports. These components can often be removed and cleaned separately with the same cleaning methods as the rest of the chair.
Regular cleaning of your office chair can significantly extend its life and maintain its appearance. Implementing proper methods and materials for cleaning will ensure that your office chair remains comfortable and supportive for years to come.