Having a swimming pool in your yard is an excellent way to stay in shape without leaving the comfort of your home. If you have kids, they’ll also enjoy taking a dip during the warm summer months. You should keep your pool well-maintained, though, so that you and your loved ones can maximize the benefits that this part of your house offers.
If your pool is exhibiting the following signs, it’s high time that you need to understand how to clean a green swimming pool by hiring a pool maintenance team:
Signs and Stains of Wear
Erosion marks naturally occur when water brushes against a surface for a length of time. These can be visible spots of wear that affects the beauty of your pool. You should consider resurfacing or putting on a new coating to restore it to its former glory. Blue Water Pool Services offer repairs and renovations based on your needs. They also perform a pressure wash to eliminate most stains and watermarks.
Metal stains are a common problem for homeowners. Here’s how pool technicians can get rid of this type of mark:
- Lower Chlorine Level – They decrease the presence of chlorine down to 0.0 parts per million (ppm) by taking advantage of direct sunlight, diluting the pool with fresh water, or adding a neutralizing chemical. It’s crucial to reduce chlorine levels because it will eat up the ascorbic acid which you’ll be adding in later.
- Lower pH Level – A pool maintenance professional will also lower the pH level to 7.2 to make it acidic, which can help in removing metal stains. They can put muriatic acid or sodium bisulfate to bring down the pH.
- Turn on the Filter – Run the pool pump and allow the filters to circulate for about 30 minutes. This way, the ascorbic acid gets mixed in the water well.
- Add Ascorbic Acid – Because of its use as a health supplement, ascorbic acid is a safe way to remove metal stains from any surface in and around your pool. You can add one pound of the acid for every 10,000 gallons of water. Drop the solution down all sides of the pool using a cup.
Imbalanced Pool Chemistry
Another sign that your pool needs to be checked by a professional is if you develop rashes or allergies after swimming, which were not an issue you dealt with before. This could mean that your pool’s pH, calcium, and chlorine levels are skewed. Pool water balance is essential because the water will be touching your skin and eyes. Moreover, a pool that’s too acidic or basic can be corrosive to the liner, ladders, handrail, and other equipment.
You can assess the chemical balance of your pool using biguanide test strips. These are the factors you should look out for:
- pH – The pH level should be between 7.2 to 7.8.
- Chlorine – Chlorine presence should be between 1.0 to 2.0 ppm.
- Alkalinity – Total alkalinity should be between 80 to 120 ppm.
- Calcium – Calcium hardness should be between 200 to 400 ppm.
- Cyanuric Acid – This acid level should be between 20 to 50 ppm.
- Dissolved Solids – The total solid chemical components dissolved in the pool must be below 5000 ppm.
Murky or Discolored Water
Cloudy water can indicate chemical imbalance and point to plenty of particles in the pool. This may be caused by heavy rain, lack of water circulation, or your filter may be damaged. Another reason for alarm is discolored water which could be a sign of algae growth and other contaminants. This issue needs to be corrected immediately by a pool maintenance team.
The common causes of murky water and their solutions are:
- Chlorine Imbalance – This issue often happens in the summer when the sun is at its hottest since UV light oxidizes chlorine. This can be solved with a stabilizer like cyanuric acid.
- Dirty Pool Filter – Pool circulation poses a significant problem for your water. Clean your filters and remove particles that could be blocking it.
- Foreign Particles – Various things may end up in your pool through the wind and rain. Sunscreen also washes off of swimmers and accumulates in the pool which adds to the cloudiness. Make sure that you have nets nearby to remove visible objects quickly. Vacuuming the pool, on the other hand, eliminates the fine particles.
A pool adds value to your home. It should be adequately maintained to ensure its longevity and functionality. Hiring a professional pool maintenance team can save you money in the long run because they have the right equipment for the job and they are trained to take good care of your property.
You got my attention when you said that what poses a significant problem for your water is a dirty pool filter. With this in mind, I will be sure to hire a swimming pool cleaning company. The water on our pool easily gets discolored and dirty no matter how I try to clean it. I am afraid to suffer from skin rashes due to dirty water, so I will surely consider hiring a professional.