How many times a day do you flick a light switch or turn on an electrical device? Most people do this without even thinking about it or where the electricity comes from. Electricity has become a necessity in every element of daily life, and yet, many people forget just how dangerous it can be. Reports suggest that up to 1,000 people are hospitalized each year through electrical incidents.
There are two things you need to do to ensure safety at home.
Get It Checked
A Level 2 electrician can visit your home and check all your electrics for you. By identifying faults you won’t just be reducing the risk at home, you’ll also potentially save money on your energy bill!
If you do spot anything wrong at home then you should take steps to rectify it quickly. The sooner an issue is dealt with the less likely it is that you’ll have a bigger, and more costly, issue. To help make sure you identify risks and protect yourself, here are the most common electrical issues and how to troubleshoot them:
An electrical surge has the potential to damage any sensitive equipment you have, such as computers and cell phones. There are many different causes of power surges, lightning, faulty appliances, or bad wiring are the most common. If you’re getting frequent power surges you’re going to need professional help to resolve the issue.
Light switches that don’t work properly or lights that flicker suggest an issue with the wiring. You can shut off the power to the circuit and remove the light switch cover to inspect for any damage or lose wires. Unfortunately, if there is nothing obvious then you’ll need professional help to check the circuits and locate any bad wiring.
The most common issue if your breakers keep tripping is an overload on the circuit. You’ll first need to establish whether the breaker trips every time you plug a specific appliance in. If this is the case then there is probably a fault with the appliance.
But, if the tripping is more random you’ll probably find that there are too many devices plugged in for the power available. You may be able to plug some items into a different circuit. If this isn’t an option then you may need a new circuit put in. To avoid overloading circuits it’s a good idea not to daisy-chain power boards and to unplug devices, not in use.
Most shocks in the home are more like a static shock but it is enough to remind you of the power and danger, of electricity. Shocks general happen when you plug something in, if this happens with more than one appliance then the fault is in the wiring. If it is just with one appliance then the fault is in the appliance. If you’re getting shocks you need the help of a professional to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Don’t forget, wiring deteriorates as it ages, but it can also be damaged by pests. Regular maintenance is essential to ensure your electrical system is safe and functioning correctly.
Leave A Comment