Your driveway is one of the most important parts of your entire home. Aesthetically, this is that part of your home that a lot of people will first see from the outside. Before they even make it inside your house, they’ll already make their judgment about your house through your driveway. Your driveway also serves a very functional purpose: your car literally drives through here, so it has to be safe at all times. Because of the wear and tear it goes through, it’s also this part of your property that goes through the most damage.
You’re here precisely because of that. As of late, people have been staying home more than usual, so you may have noticed that your driveway is in dire need of a makeover from expert concrete contractors Colorado Springs. This article gives you some of the best tips, so you can do just that.
Clean Your Driveway
Before you start to repair your concrete driveway, you’ll need to start with a clean slate. Think of this like a blank canvas for you to work on. Remove stains and leaves from it by sweeping or blowing them off. It’s also best to do this every week. When you leave these debris to linger for a long time, they’re only going to be even harder to clean up.
Along that line, here are some great cleaning tips you can apply to ensure a more effective driveway repair process:
- Remove dirt and mud by applying a coat of sealant every year to hold the new color and protect the concrete to make it look new and even.
- Avoid chemicals, as a lot of cleaners and chemicals can leave a dull or sticky finish on your driveway.
- If there are stains that are left, a degreaser or primer can be used to remove these.
Having a clean driveway can help ensure that whatever work you do on your driveway lasts.
Fix Any Cracks And Holes
When it’s time for you to start working on the repairs on your driveway, you have to first start with fixing any of the cracks and holes. This is to ensure that your repairs will look the best, and won’t appear botched.
Below are some tips that you can follow:
- If the cracks are less than half an inch, a crack filler can serve the purpose of fixing it up. It’s the perfect tool for self-leveling, because it’s very fluid. That way, once it’s sealed, you won’t even see the patches.
- Just in case you overfill the hole, you can use a scraper to level it and spread the filler evenly. Give it time to dry for at most eight hours before starting to seal all over again.
Deal With Any Cracks That Are Present
As the driveway or pavement ages and as your car also goes in and out frequently, it’s normal for your driveway to develop cracks. However, once they’re there, you need to deal with these cracks quickly to prevent further damage.
Here’s how you can go about doing this:
- A screwdriver can be used to clean out any dirt that are stuck inside the cracks;
- Scrub the walls using a wire brush;
- If there’s any debris that you can scoop out, you can vacuum it out.
- Next, use a good old crack filler to fill it in.
- Once the previous step is done, you can smooth out the surface using a small trowel.
Remember To Perform Regular Maintenance
Repairing your driveway also means learning how to maintain your driveway to prevent more repair work in the future. Good maintenance helps you extend your driveway’s life. Regular driveway maintenance is something that you need to do every six months to two years, depending on what kind of climate you live in. This includes sweeping and mopping with a hose, using a detergent to remove stains, applying a protective sealant, and regular sweeping to make sure your driveway looks fresh and new. If any problem arises, be sure to fix it immediately.
Seal Any Edges By Hand
The edges of your driveway are best sealed by hand. You can work by starting at the top of your driveway, and going downwards. If your driveway ends in a garage or sidewalk, a paintbrush should be enough to seal the edges. Then, you can make the edges more precise with a squeegee.
If you have a concrete driveway, you should know how to take care of it. This starts with being aware of the proper maintenance tips that’ll extend the life of your driveway. Because of the purpose that your driveway serves, you have to ensure that it’ll last you for a long time. However, if you think your driveway needs a new look or must be improved, contact a reliable service for concrete repair in Orange County or somewhere near your place to have your driveway renovated. By doing so, you can save time and money doing big repairs on your driveway.