How to Prevent Common Electrical Problems in Your Home

Published On: July 2, 20210 Comments on How to Prevent Common Electrical Problems in Your HomeTags: Last Updated: February 5, 20244.1 min read

Each day, we are surrounded by electrical equipment, whether it is household appliances or workplace equipment. The large majority of us are never likely to have an electrical incident or suffer an electrical accident in the worst-case scenario. Still, at the same time, it is essential to be familiar with the signs that something is amiss. We can keep ourselves and those around us, our home, and our workplace safe by knowing how to prevent electrical problems from occurring.

How to Prevent Common Electrical Problems in Your Home

Although the risk of burns is always present in an electrical fire caused by insufficient electrical safety in the home, asphyxiation is even more dangerous. Smoke inhalation causes most deaths in house fires. Electric shock is another main electrical hazard in the home and can lead to heart failure or nerve damage. Electrical hazards at home are common, but there are ways you can avoid them to keep your family and property safe. Here are seven easy measures you can take.

Don’t Overload Circuits

Electrical fires are frequently caused by overloading. An overload occurs when there are too many appliances plugged into a single outlet. Consider using a power strip with internal overload protection. A professional electrician in Minneapolis may recommend this electrical safety feature to ensure electrical safety by automatically turning it off when it is overloaded.

Allow Professional Handle Plug Modifications

Changing electrical plugs yourself is never a good idea. Plugs should never have the ground pin removed or modified so that they fit into sockets. By doing so, you increase your chances of getting shocked, electrocuted, or even worse, set on fire. You can get an expert electrician to help you change the plug on a device or change outdated two-pronged plugs with grounded outlets that can accept a ground pin.



Hide Extension Cords

Do not leave extension cords or power strips dangling in an open space where they could be tripped over. If the cord protector breaks due to weight or repeated treading of people, it can cause electrocution or an explosion. Friction can cause both exterior and internal damage, but the latter is harder to detect since it is not visible to the naked eye. It is, therefore, necessary to be cautious from the beginning by adequately securing and hiding cords and wires.

Keep Electrical Appliances Dry

An electric shock can be fatal when combined with water. Do not let electrical appliances come into contact with water or moisture. If a device falls into the water while you’re using it, you will need to shut off the electrical supply at your house’s electrical panel before you make any attempt to unplug or retrieve the device. Also, you’ll want to check that the appliance is still safe to use once it has dried out by having an appliance technician look at it. You shouldn’t use power tools in wet conditions if you’re doing work outside.

How to Prevent Common Electrical Problems in Your Home - electrician

Keep Flammable Materials Away

You should also be aware of the risks associated with portable heaters, hairdryers, clothes irons, and even light bulbs. Whenever you take an electrical device and position it near flammable materials, such as towels, curtains, rugs, and blankets, it may cause a fire. Under no circumstances should cables or cords be tucked under carpets or rugs. Overheating can easily cause a fire.

The Right Bulbs for Lamps and Fixtures

Don’t forget to get the correct wattage of light bulbs when you purchase the main lighting fixtures or lamps for your home. If the wattage of a bulb exceeds the lamp or fixture’s specification, this could cause the wiring to overheat, resulting in a fire. When you use a 100-watt bulb with a light rated for a maximum of 60 watts, you will draw more power through the wire than the lamp can handle. For safety, make sure the bulbs are secured tightly.

Inspect Appliances Regularly

Do you feel tingly or hot when touching the TV? If you are experiencing problems like these, it is time to call an electrician. Additionally, pay attention to the smell of burning, flickering lights, spark plugs, and the appearance of smoke. Bring these items to the attention of your electrician. Let them can check all appliances, as well as the plugs and wiring, for signs of a problem. A licensed electrician will likely recommend replacing any excessively worn wires to ensure the safety of you, your family, and your property.

There is a wide range of electrical problems that can negatively affect your home and safety. Electricity is one of the major causes of fires, so it’s essential to check and maintain this aspect of your home regularly. In case you are concerned about the effects of minor power outages, contact a professional electrician. Being safe now will always save you from being sorry later.


Share This Tip With Your Friends!

About the Author: Handyman tips team

The Handyman Tips Team is a group of authors that provides tips on the Handyman Tips website. The Handyman Tips team consists of real handymen, contractors, carpenters, woodworkers, and experts in home repairs, appliance repairs, and landscaping. The team is always there for visitors to the Handyman Tips website. If you can't find the answer to your question on the Handyman Tips website, one of them will reply to you almost immediately if you contact them through the Ask the Handyman page!