8 Common Electrical Problems Around The Home

Published On: November 26, 20220 Comments on 8 Common Electrical Problems Around The HomeTags: Last Updated: January 21, 20244.7 min read

Almost everything we use in our daily lives requires electricity. It’s used for everything from charging phones to cooking and keeping our house lit. While electricity is essential, it comes with its problems. While some are minor, others can be downright dangerous. The most common electrical problems around the home are easily fixed but require basic electrical knowledge. If you’re unsure how to fix an electrical problem in your home, it’s advisable to call an electrician.

burning outlet

However, you can still try to give your hand at fixing some electrical problems at home—with proper precaution, of course. Here are some of the most common problems that occur in the home:

1. Faulty Switches And Sockets

Faulty switches and sockets are one of the most common electrical problems around the home. If your lights or appliances aren’t working, they could be caused by faulty switches or sockets. You must first check if all your power points are switched on. Then check if electricity flows to the socket by plugging another appliance into it. If it doesn’t work, then there’s probably a problem with your wiring or power supply. In this case, communicate with an Electric Company close to you.

2. Shorted Circuits

A short circuit occurs when electricity flows through a wire or device in the wrong direction. The most common cause of a short circuit is a break in the wire. Still, it can also be caused by loose connections, overloading an appliance, or using damaged power tools. This can damage the appliance or electrical system and cause a fire. Suppose your lights dim when you switch on a particular appliance (like your vacuum cleaner). In that case, there’s probably an electrical fault somewhere in the house. If you suspect an action like this, call an expert in electric repair like Denver, CO Electric Company to solve the issue for you.

3. Overloaded Circuits And Fuses

If your fuse blows when you try to plug something in, it’s probably overloaded. If you have too many appliances plugged into one power point, or if they’re using too much electricity, it can overload the circuit. This is especially true if you’ve got a lot of high-voltage appliances like heaters and air conditioners running at the same time. If this happens, you’ll need to switch off some of your appliances to reset the circuit breaker, replace the fuse, and start using them again. Thus, it’s important to use power tools carefully and only plug them into outlets rated for their purpose.

4. Burnt Wires

Wires can burn or melt away when too much current flows into a wire, exposing the copper inside. You may also notice sparks or hear popping noises from your light switches and outlets. If you see any of these signs, turn off all power to your home immediately by flipping all circuit breakers in your breaker box to ensure your safety and prevent further damage.

fixing the outlet

5. Faulty Light Bulbs

Light bulbs are one of the most common culprits when it comes to electrical fires. Faulty bulbs can start smoking or burning. This happens if the filament inside breaks or if there’s too much current going through it, causing it to overheat and burn out quickly. It also happens when you’re using low-voltage halogen bulbs with high-voltage dimmers. So, if you notice your light bulbs flickering or turning on and off by themselves, replace them immediately.

6. Live Wires

A person can receive an electrical shock if they come into contact with a live wire. This happens when the insulation on power lines is damaged, causing them to come into contact with other metal surfaces in your home. If you think there’s a live wire in your home, it’s best to stay away from the specific wire and call a professional electrician. Exposure to live wires can lead to severe injury and burns depending on how long the electricity travels into the human body. If you or someone you know comes into contact with a live wire, you must turn off the power and call emergency services immediately.

7. Worn Cables

Cables can wear out over time, especially if exposed to the elements. This may cause them to become brittle and easily break when it comes into contact with another object. If this happens, the broken cable could come into contact with another metal surface in your home, leading to an electrical fire. If you notice a worn cable, it’s best to call an electrician to fix the problem immediately.

If you notice a worn cable, it’s best to call an electrician to fix the problem immediately. To learn more about how a qualified electrician can help you, check out this video:

For privacy reasons YouTube needs your permission to be loaded. For more details, please see our Privacy and cookie policy.
I Accept

8. Electrical Power Surge

A power surge occurs when a sudden change in voltage, which can happen when there’s an electrical overload, a lightning strike, or when power is restored after an outage. Power surges can damage your home’s wiring, leading to an electrical fire. Suppose you have an older home with antiquated wiring. In that case, you may experience more frequent power surges than newer homes with updated wiring systems. One way to prevent power surges is to purchase automatic voltage regulators or surge protectors for your home.

Conclusion

Awareness of the signs of electrical problems in your home is essential. Electrical problems can cause serious injury to you and damage your property. It’s crucial to closely monitor your home’s electrical system and perform regular inspections. If you notice any signs of a problem, contact an electrician for assistance immediately.



Share This Tip With Your Friends!

About the Author: Handyman tips team

The Handyman Tips Team is a group of authors that provides tips on the Handyman Tips website. The Handyman Tips team consists of real handymen, contractors, carpenters, woodworkers, and experts in home repairs, appliance repairs, and landscaping. The team is always there for visitors to the Handyman Tips website. If you can't find the answer to your question on the Handyman Tips website, one of them will reply to you almost immediately if you contact them through the Ask the Handyman page!