A home is a place where we spend a lot of time. We use many things that make our life easy. And no wonder they wear out over time and need to be repaired or replaced. For a comfortable life, it is necessary to maintain all household appliances and fixtures in good condition.
Everyone knows that if something breaks or malfunctions, you need to hire a handyman or fix it by yourself. But what actually does a handyman do? Well, this list of tasks is long, ranging from the simple change of a light bulb to complete room renovations. A repairman’s list of services is long and varied, so the answer depends on what you’re looking for. This article will give you some tips on hiring a handyperson, and how to get the best value for your money.
What is a handyman?
Handymen are experts in repairing and maintaining small problems around your house. If you have a squeaky door or leaking faucet, you can call a handyman to do it for you. They can do everything from drywall repairs to interior painting. Some professionals can even install smart home systems and fix a garage door. Here are just some of the various services a handyman can provide:
- Appliance and garden tool repairs;
- Furniture repair and assembly;
- Fixing chips, leaks, detachments;
- Installation of shelves, TV screen;
- Window frame and doors repair;
- Basic electrical work, replacement of sockets;
- Cleaning drainage and gutter;
- External works; porch fixing, pathway lying.
Aside from small repairs, they can help with general maintenance. For example, you can arrange a handyperson for home maintenance to service the roof, basement, and major house systems.
Choosing a specialist – what qualities are required for a handyman?
Regardless of what you’re looking for, a repairman can help you make the most of your time. Handymen can perform a wide range of tasks. They can sand a deck, paint trim, and hang paintings and mirrors. These tasks are usually simple, and a handyman can complete them quickly and efficiently. You do not have to waste your precious time on tedious housework. But some professionals are more skilled than others. You need to do some research on how to hire a handyman. So you prevent yourself from poor-quality work, loss of money and a bad impression.
Here are some signs of a good specialist:
- A reliable repairman should have all the tools and equipment he needs.
- Some handymen should have certifications in their profession from the state government where they operate. This applies for sure to professions such as an electrician or plumbers. Licensing can be voluntary for carpentry or assembly work.
- Depending on your project size, your handyman might be unable to complete particular tasks. However, they can complete smaller, more specialized projects, such as painting, baby proofing, or shelves mounting.
- Handymen often work with homeowners, so they should have some basic skills of pleasant communication with customers.
- It’s a good idea to ensure that any person you hire has positive reviews and has been recommended by someone who has previously hired him.
Once you’ve found a few servicing offers that match your needs, consider asking a specialist for some questions to find out they level of experience.
Small repairs or home maintenance contract?
A local handyman can perform a variety of repair tasks for different types of properties. They offer their services to small businesses and homeowners. Small repairs advantage is that you can quickly call the master for any odd jobs. If you have an urgent task or minor work, you may be able to call a local handyman who will come to your place soon. The average repair will cost less than CAD $100 and is not a big deal for a pro.
A home-service contract offers more benefits than a single-time visit. A handyman can help you support your home in a good state. They will assess the condition of your home and report you a repair plan for some time in advance. You do not have to worry about the roof leaking, the contractor will monitor it when needed. This will allow you to avoid unexpected costs and plan your home maintenance budget for some time in advance.
Many homeowners perceive this service as overkill. In fact, if you keep a house in good condition, you spend no more than 1% of its value per year on maintenance. Wherein, you do not have to spend any money separately on small repairs, it will be included in the cost of maintaining the house.