Garage doors are a very important part of our lives. They protect us from the elements, burglars, and other dangers on a daily basis. The garage door is also one of the first things people notice when they see your home or office building, so it’s important to take care of them with regular maintenance.
Fortunately, installing a new garage door is not an expensive project and can be done by anyone who has some basic tools and knowledge about how these systems work. Here are the basics regarding how to install a garage door.
How to Install a Garage Door: 10 Easy Steps
A garage door is one of the most important parts of your home. Installing a new garage door can be extremely difficult, but if you follow these simple steps, it will be much easier for you to install a new garage door! Let’s get started!
- Garage door installation should begin with weather-stripping at the bottom. To ensure that the weather-stripping stays in place, attach screw cable brackets to the door.
- Attach hinges to the garage door’s bottom panel with an impact driver. The bottom door panel should be placed on the floor in the garage doorway.
- Place the track against the door and slide the rollers into the brackets. Place track next to the door, insert rollers into it and fasten it to the doorway frame with screws.
- Now, connect the hinges securely to the panel of the second door panel. Also, in the doorway, place the second panel on top of the first panel. At this point, insert hinge screws to connect the second door panel to the first panel.
- After that, slide the hinge and roller into the track and mount them to the second door panel. Check to see whether the track is running parallel with the door, and secure the track to the wall framing with screws.
- Now it’s time to add the third door panel in the same way. Make sure the track until the door sits smoothly. Then, using a ratchet wrench, tighten the lag screws. Also, using curved corner tracks, join horizontal track segments to vertical sections.
- Fix the top panel of the door in its position and attach it firmly with hinge screws. Don’t forget to fasten rollers and top hinges with screws.
- Now take the spring of the garage door and add it to the hook bracket of the door track. Carefully and firmly attach the locking pliers so that the door stays open until you finish the process.
- At this stage, insert the steel-made wire and connect it with the track. Make sure it goes way above the pulleys. Finally, to help the cable stay in its position without any issue, you have to attach it strongly at the end part of the bracket. Also, add an S-shaped hook with the bracket and a clip hook with the door track.
- Now, you have to do one last thing to finish the process. To do that, grab the safety cable and insert it through the central part of all springs and connect it to brackets.
That’s it. Your garage door is now fully prepared to function properly. Check whether everything is okay or not by opening and closing the door.
Some Useful Tips Regarding Garage Door Installation
- Measure the doorway opening before buying a garage door so that you get one that will fit properly without needing any adjustments or custom modifications.
- Know what type of material you want for your new door (steel vs. wood). You may even have options like insulated steel doors if insulation is important to you. You can also choose what kind of hardware you want on your door.
- The garage door springs are the part that helps the door open and close smoothly. Make sure to get quality replacement springs from a reputable garage door supplier for optimal performance.
- Don’t skimp on the garage door opener.
If you need help installing a new garage door, we recommend hiring an expert. For DIYers and those who don’t mind putting in the time to learn how to do it themselves, installation can be done with some basic tools and patience. You can use the above-given process to learn how to install a garage door properly. Good luck!