A Basic Guide To Mold – And How It’s Potentially Dangerous

Published On: August 19, 20191 Comment on A Basic Guide To Mold – And How It’s Potentially DangerousTags: , , , Last Updated: February 12, 20243.9 min read

Mold is fungi that can be found both indoors and outdoors. Species of fungi range from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands. Mold grows more in warm, damp, and humid conditions. It then spreads and reproduces by making spores. Mold spores can survive harsh environmental conditions, such as dry conditions, that do not support normal mold growth.

A Basic Guide To Mold - And How It's Potentially Dangerous

The best way to control indoor mold growth is by controlling moisture. As long as there’s moisture, mold can grow just about anywhere; on wood, paper, clothes, carpet, and foods. Mold is definitely not something you want growing in your home, so here is more information about mold and why you need to get rid of it as soon as you spot its beginnings.

Why is there mold growing in my house?

Outdoors, mold has its natural role to play by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees. Indoors, it’s a different story. It reproduces through tiny spores, not seen with the naked eye, and these spores float in the air. Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet. Toxins caused by moles breathed in can have a negative effect on our health.

How does mold affect health?

Many people could be sensitive to this fungi, and might experience anything between mild to severe reactions. Mild symptoms could include a stuffy nose, wheezing, and red or itchy eyes or skin. Severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath.

A Basic Guide To Mold - And How It's Potentially Dangerous - men sneezing

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, people with low immunity and chronic lung illness may develop serious complications in their lungs when exposed to mold. Otherwise healthy adults can also develop upper respiratory tract symptoms, such as coughing, and wheezing. Also, children can begin to show symptoms of asthma when exposed to mold over a long period of time.

Black mold is one of several different species of fungus, and it can grow in areas of a house or building that isn’t easy to see, such as between wall layers. The mold itself isn’t harmful, but it the toxins that they release which can cause one or more of the health issues mentioned.

What’s this difference between mold and mildew?

While they’re both types of fungi, they are different in growth patterns and forms. If you read a helpful guide with mold vs mildew differences, you will know that mildew has less risk of being exposed to the toxins as those produced by certain mold.

Mildew is easier to clean with detergents and scrubbing, in comparison to mold where you might have to replace entire walls, floor sections, carpets, and other items damaged from mold growth. When either is present, they’ll continue to generate spores that you are breathing in. This leads to a number of mild to serious health problems.

Everyone should take the time to educate themselves more on mold and mildew because they are both health hazards, mold being the more severe one because mold spores spread easily and cannot be completely eradicated. Once you know the difference, you can make use of the different products around to rid mildew or lessen mold in order to live in a cleaner and healthier home environment.

How can I control indoor moisture?

To control indoor mold, you need to control moisture. Indoor humidity is often the source of the problem and should be no higher than 50% throughout the day. An air conditioner or dehumidifier will help you keep the level low. Telltale signs of excessive humidity include condensation on windows, pipes, and walls. And keep exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathrooms, running when cooking or in the shower.

Also, don’t wait longer than 48 hours to dry any water-damaged areas of your home such as leaks or condensation of water. Start the process of eliminating mold by determining the source of excess moisture. A small amount can be cleaned on your own, but large molded areas might need professional mold cleaners to get rid of it as well as prevent future growth.

Once mold starts to grow in certain items like rugs or into wall panels, you might have to get rid of these items. This makes mold both a health hazard as well as a costly matter. Improve the airflow of your home and move furniture a bit farther away from walls. If you have an extensive amount of mold and don’t think you can manage the cleanup by yourself, you can contact a professional who has experience in cleaning mold in buildings and homes.

Share This Tip With Your Friends!

About the Author: Handyman tips team

The Handyman Tips Team is a group of authors that provides tips on the Handyman Tips website. The Handyman Tips team consists of real handymen, contractors, carpenters, woodworkers, and experts in home repairs, appliance repairs, and landscaping. The team is always there for visitors to the Handyman Tips website. If you can't find the answer to your question on the Handyman Tips website, one of them will reply to you almost immediately if you contact them through the Ask the Handyman page!

Leave A Comment

  1. Mold Remediation Spokane WA February 26, 2024 at 11:10 pm

    This guide is well-organized and easy to navigate, making it accessible to readers seeking practical advice on dealing with mold in their homes.

Related Posts