A biscuit joiner is a tool used to unite pieces of wood together. The process goes like this: the biscuit joiner uses a tiny saw blade to carve a crescent-shaped hole in the edges of the woods then glue is applied on the slot which the biscuit’s place will be. After that, the boards should be clamped together. Hermann Steiner has developed this system during the year 1956 in Switzerland. Over the years, the biscuit joining system is innovated to do more things associated with woodworking.
With the use of biscuits, joining woods is never this easy! Compared with a dowel, biscuits will benefit you more. Biscuit joiners offer to correct missed marks with side by side alignment. Unlike dowels, they are pretty more comfortable to install.
However, choosing the right joiner that you need is a bit difficult. With many companies out there that offer this tool, it is hard to come up with a decision. Therefore, you can find in the article “5 Best Biscuit Joiners” to help you in narrowing the scope of the best options to choose from.
Why Should You Own a Biscuit Joiner?
There are a lot of ways and methods to join two pieces of wood together. Mortise and tenon joinery and dovetails are one of the example approaches that can be used. But there is a much simpler way, and it’s a biscuit joiner.
Uses and Benefits of Biscuit Joiner
- These tools are perfect in lining up wood pieces with plywood panels. It guarantees that the alignment will turn out the way you expected.
- Joining two pieces of wood together such as particle board, plywood, and medium density fibreboard.
- Strengthen and align the miter joints.
- Your woodworking needs will be a lot easier.
- Biscuit joiners provide you with efficiency, durability, convenience and less time spent on working.
Features to Watch Out For in Biscuit Joiners
Various biscuit joiners come at varied prices. Some are high while some are low. Often, prices indicate the level of quality that a product has and the features that it can offer. So, you might need to spend more than the average amount of cash if you want the best joiner out there.
Sizes of the biscuits
If you are joining large pieces of wood together, then you have to buy one with various biscuit sizes to cater your woodworking job.
Convenience and ease of use
Complicated settings that are difficult to understand are a turn off for this kind of product. You need something that has a user-friendly set up to use it without much frustration. As a recommendation, if you are doing tasks that take plenty of time, then a lightweight biscuit joiner is the best choice one for you.
It is one of the significant pieces on the biscuit joiner. It is the guiding tool for the saw blade while cutting into the wood. A great model provides you with adjustment settings for different angles and several positions. The more choice you have with the fence, the more groove cuts you’ll be able to generate.
It is necessary to choose a model that allows you to cut grooves with specific depths to provide you with the flexibility that your work demands.
High amp draw along with high RPM speed enables you to do the work quicker. Cutting grooves will be faster with the help of those two.
Dust Collection System
Sawdust and chips will always be present when cutting the wood. With this feature, the clean up will be convenient since the system will absorb the dust.
5 Best Biscuit Joiners
Analysis of the models of the biscuit joiners below is based on the research done on the website MenToolBox.com. Reviews from verified customers are taken into account along with the features, specifications, and price of each product to be able to narrow down the list. So, here are the five models of biscuit joiners that you should keep an eye on.
- Makita PJ7000 Plate Joiner
For a reasonably low cost, this model has plenty of power to offer. Since it’s lightweight, fatigue will be avoided. This model is user-friendly and straightforward.
- It has a 5.6 amp motor along with 11,000 RPM speed.
- It offers a small circumference in the handle.
- The fence system comprises a fence and a removable angle guide. The fence pivots in a permanent position, so it’s ideal for angle cut adjustments.
- It has six depth settings.
- It has a removable dust bag.
- DEWALT DW682K 6.5 Amp Plate Joiner
It is a well-known name with a top-notch quality that is very easy to handle. Its features include:
- Its dual rack and pinion fence system allow the fence and the blade to stay parallel. The fence system is also easily adjustable.
- It features heavy duty non-marring aluminum shoe.
- It has a 6.5 amp motor along with 10,000 RPM speed.
- It has a removable dust bag.
- Lamello Classic X 101600 Biscuit Joiner
This model is a bit expensive but with good reasons. Being a first class tool, it offers features that stand out from the rest such as:
- 780-watt motor
- It features a rotating front stop along with fixed pivot joint.
- Ergonomically designed so you can work longer.
- It has six depth settings
- This model works with 14 joining elements.
- Porter Cable 557 7 Amp Plate Joiner Kit
The tool comes at an affordable price. This is a lightweight tool with comfortable handles and is proven to last a long time. It’s easy to use and also well built.
Its features include:
- Extra blade for cutting mini biscuit-slots.
- Dust port that allows a 1” vacuum hose for efficient dust collection.
- It has 10,000 RPM speed and 7 amp, 120-volt motor.
- It has seven positions rotating depth.
- It has a fence system that offers pivot point for more accurate height readings.
- Craftsman 17539 6 Amp Corded Plate Joiner
This model is a great choice to consider, especially if you are a beginner. It is the cheapest of the five, but it also offers features that woodworkers need like:
- Removable dust bag.
- It has a 6.0 amp power with 10,000 RPM speed.
- Adjustable front fence with pinion and rack for precise death adjustments.
- Three depth settings.
In conclusion, biscuit joiners prove to be the best equipment for woodworking. Its benefits will outweigh the cost that you have to spend. Make sure that features, price, and settings are taken into consideration when purchasing one to avoid regret in the future. I hope this article helped you in making your decision.
Leave A Comment