Good plumbing can save money with just a little effort. You can enjoy the convenience and reduce the chances of unpleasant surprises. What follows are some simple tips that can help you prevent
It can be hard to know what’s going on with your plumbing system if you don’t have a lot of experience working with it. The good news is that you can find some great tips online to help you make sure your pipes are clear and ready for the cold weather. Follow these seven ideas for success as you work this winter as these tips are ideal for preventing and dealing with the plumbing related problems:
Preventing a clog
The first thing you need to do is to make sure your pipes are not clogged. You can avoid a clog by flushing the toilets after every use, brushing your teeth without keeping the water running, and running dishwashers.
Reading the water meter
One of the most common questions people ask about plumbing is, “How can I read my water meter?” It’s a tricky question, and there are a few ways to do it. The best way is to read the analog display reading of the water meter. The large sweep hand dial of the water meter measures the water used in cubic or gallons feet.
Keeping your pipes from freezing
Whenever the ground is frozen, you need to be extra careful of your pipes. The moment the water freezes, it expands and can break your pipes. One pro-tip is to drain your water supply; when the temperatures are below zero degrees celsius, you can wrap a heating pad to the pipes to boost their temperature and prevent the pipe from bursting.
What not to flush down the toilet
There are tons of daily-use items that you should never flush down your toilet. Otherwise, it can cause clogging. Following is the list of things you should avoid flushing in the bathroom:
- Baby Wipes: People tend to throw these wipes in the toilet, but these wipes don’t decompose quickly, unlike toilet paper, and cause frequent clog problems.
- Diapers and menstrual products: Diapers and menstrual products are sound water absorbers and will expand once you flush them, causing clogging problems.
- Condoms: Condoms are also not meant to break in the water and induce drainage in pipes.
- Pills and vaccinations: Both these medications can mix with water and can result in harmful environmental effects.
- Cigarette butts: It is made using toxic chemicals and can lead to drainage.
- Hair: Hair can also cause drainage as it can be stuck in pipes and lead to clogging.
- Chewing gums: As these sticky gums are insoluble and can easily stick in pipes. Hence, these gums can increase the risk of drainage and clogging.
What to flush down the toilet
It is advisable to flush only human waste and toilet paper in the toilet. It will prevent it from clogging and will add to the longevity of the toilet’s life.
Getting rid of odors around the home
Sewage is the most common reason for foul odors as after decomposition, it releases toxic gases. This unpleasant smell gets trapped in drains and causes an unbearable smell. So what is the best way to prevent the odor around the home? First of all, it’s advisable to pour some boiling water into the smelling drain. After that, you can use vinegar and baking soda to solve the drain odor problem. For this, pour a bit of baking soda into the drain and then add vinegar gradually into it. Do this till your drain looks clean and smells fresh.
Preventing mold and mildew in your home
Mold and mildew smell showcase their presence near your drains. The main reason for these smells is leakage in the drain pipe. The best way to deal with mold and mildew is by controlling indoor moisture. It can be achieved by improving ventilation. Also, clean the visible mold and mildew whenever you spot them.
Express Plumbing and Gas aims to assist you with the best plumbing solutions. For more information, you can check the plumbing product reviews at Express Plumbing & Gas. For any plumbing-related queries, you can mail us or comment under this post; we will love to help you out.