Christmas is just around the corner. Keeping the festivities and spirit of the season alive is especially crucial during this new normal. We understand money can be tight these days, but the good news is there is no need to splurge on expensive Christmas décor to be the best-dressed house in the neighbourhood this holiday season.
Here are several ways to transform your landscape into a winter wonderland without breaking the bank:
- Christmas Light Balls – Scatter strategically different sizes of balls of light across your lawn. This do-it-yourself outdoor décor involves wrapping Christmas lights around chicken wire balls. This cost-efficient Christmas décor gives your yard a fancy and magical scene that definitely turns heads.
- Decorated Outdoor Christmas Tree – What is the holiday season with a Christmas tree? Christmas trees are not just an indoor holiday décor. If you have an evergreen tree in your yard, such as a Colorado blue spruce, why not décorate it with colourful ornaments for the holiday season? Brighten up your yard using strings of mini lights throughout its branches.
- Jazz Up Your Christmas Window Box – Window boxes containing annuals are a popular home outdoor décor trend today. Since brightly coloured flowers do not survive extreme winter temperatures, substitute them with evergreen boughs, colourful ribbons, and ornaments for Christmas decorating. Incorporating your creative touch gives your window box an impressive look.
- Get Crazy with Garlands – Use evergreen garlands to add significant interest to your front door design. This Christmas décor is flexible and can be easily maneuvered wherever you want to place it. You can hang them on fences or around the doorways and windows.
Other uses may include:
- Mailbox post decorations
- Wrap them around lamp posts and porch columns
- Run them along deck railings
- String them along archways, arbours, and trellises
- Decorate with Topiary Animals – Placing lighted animals strategically in your front yard adds to the holiday spirit in your home. You can put up a group of grazing deers made of grapevine or artificial greenery and position them to illustrate as Santa’s reindeer.
- Highlight Walkways with Pathway Lights – Create a bright welcome path to your front door using light strings held by stakes. Make sure to choose the height of the light stakes accordingly to your local weather patterns. Use a 15-inch stake if you live in an area with lots of snow and 4.5-inch in height in areas without snow.
- Wrap Trees in Light – A tree wrapped in lights can brighten up your yard this holiday season. wrap LED lights around the trunk of an evergreen tree or a bare tree with empty branches up to its limb. This allows the tree to illuminate in the evening. You can also hang Starlight Spheres from the branches.
- Decorate Hedges with Ribbons – Decorate a row of hedge plants with ribbons for Christmas. Frost forming on the leaves or snow falling on top of the hedge adds nicely to the festive feel of the holiday season.
- Install a Landscape Lighting System – Installing a landscape lighting system in your front yard helps accentuate the best aspects of your outdoor Christmas décor and the surrounding landscape. Modern landscape lighting system features WiFi-connected timers and LED colour changing bulbs. You can look up at augustagreen.ca for more information about landscape lighting systems.
There are a variety of affordable materials you can use to brighten up your house this Christmas. Whether you’re looking for recycled or used pallets and cost-effective outdoor lighting in Toronto, you can find them with just a little extra effort.