While there are a lot of homeowners who like to go with the idea of chemical pesticides to keep those pests as far away as possible, there are others who recognize there is a good deal of risk that happens with these chemicals and they do not want them anywhere near their home. They still have to deal with a number of pests though and they want to find a method that will help them to remove the pests and keep everyone within the home safe. One of these methods is organic pest control. Organic pest control is meant to take out all of the chemicals from the mix and helping you to see success with removing the pests. It will use things like herbs, other insects, and even spices in some cases to help you to remove the pests, either from your garden or your home, so that you do not end up with a big mess to handle as well. Organic pest control will not use man-made chemicals, but it can use some repellents like garlic oil, pepper, mint, and citrus to name a few.
There are a lot of things that can be counted as organic pest control and they can do a good job at removing the pests and keeping your home as safe as possible. We can take a closer look at how this works to help us see whether this type of pest control is going to work well for our needs.
A Look at Organic Pest Control
The first thing that we need to look at is the basics of organic pest control. When we talk about organic pest control, it means that we are working to keep the pests far away by using safe and natural methods. Organic pest control will avoid the use of dangerous chemicals that are able to harm animals or humans along the way. There are many items that count as organic pest control and each of them can be effective depending on the issue at hand and what you would like to use the most. These organic pest control methods are going to include the use of barriers, traps, and other natural repellents, like essential oils. These are meant to discourage insects from coming into the area and causing a mess, especially around gardens or in your lawn. There are a number of options that you can use to help you get the organic pest control that you are looking for including:
This is a type of trap that is going to use an adhesive to help trap any bug that lands on it. Some sticky traps can look like fruit, but many are just a simple flat sheet that has some glue on it. This is a simple concept, but it is going to be effective for controlling crawling garden pests. It may not work as well against some of the flying bugs that are out there. The biggest problem with these is that the sticky trap is going to fill up with bugs and you will need to keep up on it. You may get a new trap or replace the adhesive to help you out here. They do not contain any type of pesticide though, so you never have to worry about the danger of those.
This one is not as scary as it seems. You will find some pests that you add into the yard that help to fight off some of the pests that are causing you some issues. For example, you can go with ladybugs to help fight off aphids, which is a common garden pest. You can add bird feeders or a bird bath and that will bring along birds that will eat a lot of the pests and insects that are going to come into your yard as well.
Oils and Spices
There are a number of spices and oils that you can use that will help to keep the pests as far away from you as possible. Some of them include:
- Capsaicin: This is hot and spicy and the pests are not going to like it. Put it around the door and the windows to keep pests out.
- Citrus: You may like the citrus that comes from these scents, but the pests are going to dislike it and run the other way. You can use lemon peels, orange peels, or even some essential oils of these scents to help out.
- Garlic: This is a scent that you may like, but some insects are not a fan. You can either grow it in your garden or chop some up and spray it around the outside of the home to keep yourself safe.
- Mint: Mint essential oil is one of the best ways to make your home smell good while keeping the insects and pests as far away as possible. Find some to spray around the home for the best results.
- Diatomaceous Earth: This is a white powder that is easy to find online and it is sharp, at least to insects. The insects will get cut up and then dye out. You should only use this on the outside of your home to make sure that you are not hurt either.
- Neem: This is an oil that you are able to spray on plants to repel the bugs, but it can also suffocate them if you decide to use it after you already have an infestation to handle. You need to wear a mask before you choose to apply this one though to make sure that you are safe.
Organic pest control can be successful with a lot of the different pests that you are dealing with around your commercial and residential property. But when you are looking for the right exterminator in Los Angeles, you need to make sure that you choose the professionals who can step in and give you the very best. Our team at Sprague Pest Solutions will be able to step in and provide some amazing results, ensuring that you can take care of the mess and keep your home or commercial property as safe as possible.