Do Modern Appliances Break More Often?
The old Maytag commercials form 70-s and 80-s featured a lonely repairman. He was so lonely because Maytag appliances lasted so long that no one needed his help. The lifespan of most appliances today is shorter than it used to be decades ago. But depending on the details, your appliance will still last you about 10 years.
A survey by a National Association of Homebuilders, has found that an average major appliance would last less than fifteen years with dishwashers lasting about nine years, washers & dryers – ten, and fridges – about thirteen. This is a considerable amount of time, however, this may be confusing if your previous appliance has lasted for 20 years. In addition, if your washer is going to last about 10 years, this may mean that three to five years in, you may need help of an appliance repair professional.
How Often Do Appliances Break?
“This is sad that we are often called to repair appliances that are relatively new and should last for a long time. But the good news is that in most cases, they are fixable”, says Zoreslav from SimplyPro Appliance Repair. According to Consumer Report – you can expect your average major home appliance to break within the first five years, which will require a repair. An average repair will cost around $200-$250 depending on the specific issue you have with your appliance, it’s brand and a cost of parts, if they need to be replaced.
How to Prevent Appliances from Breaking?
In most cases, problems with appliances can be avoided by following simple rules, that just make sense – things like not overloading appliances or keeping them clean. Here is a couple simpler tips:
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use and care. This includes using the appliance as intended and performing recommended maintenance tasks.
- Keep appliances clean. Dirt and grime can build up and cause problems. Wipe down appliances regularly and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for cleaning.
- Use appliances at the correct power levels. Using too high of a power level can cause wear and tear on the appliance.
- Avoid overloading appliances. Don’t try to do too much at once or put too much strain on the appliance.
- Use a surge protector for appliances that are sensitive to power fluctuations.
By following these tips, you can help extend the life of your appliances and get the most value out of them.
Five Reasons why you Need a Professional to fix your Appliances
Often times, people say that it’s too expensive to hire a professional to repair their appliance. But often times this is not the case – having an appliance repair expert come in will not only save you time, but will also get you peace of mind along with longer appliance lifetime. Here is a couple more reason to go with professionals for appliance repair:
- Expertise: Professionals have the knowledge and expertise to properly diagnose and fix appliance issues. They have undergone extensive training and have experience working on various appliances.
- Safety: Handling appliances can be dangerous, as they often involve electricity and gas. Professionals have the necessary safety equipment and knowledge to safely repair appliances.
- Quality work: Professionals will ensure that the repair is done correctly and to a high standard. They will also provide a warranty for their work, giving you peace of mind and protection in the event of any future issues.
- Time-saving: Working with professionals saves you time and hassle. They will come to your home or place of business to fix the appliance, rather than you having to transport it to a repair shop.
- Cost-effective: While it may seem more expensive to hire a professional, in the long run it can actually be more cost-effective. Professionals can often fix appliances quickly and correctly, avoiding the need for multiple repairs or replacements.
Do Appliance Repair People Provide Additional Warranty?
Warranty signifies how certain a repair company is in a quality of the work done. While not all appliance repair companies will provide a warranty, this is certainly something to ask about before you hire an appliance repair company.
With that said, most appliance repair companies will provide a warranty for their services. This means that if the appliance breaks down again within a certain time frame after the repair, the company will fix it at no additional cost to the customer. The length of the warranty will vary depending on the company and the specific repair.