No matter your lifestyle, a few years of living and your home will gradually become cluttered up with all sorts of stuff. Device packaging, things that no longer work, and generally items that you no longer have a used for will accumulate in that spare room or garage, and eventually, there will be no room for anything else. That’s why we made this guide to decluttering your home for average homeowners.
Here are few simple tips for successful decluttering of your home:
Annual Spring Cleaning
Smart homeowners combine decluttering with the annual spring clean, which kills two birds with one stone, and with that in mind, here are a few tips on how best to declutter your living space.
- Arrange renting a skip – There’s no better way to remove unwanted items than renting a skip, and if you hire your skip bin from Jim’s, they have a wide range of bin sizes and are very reasonably priced. Simply search online and you can book the skip delivery via their website, and wherever you happen to live in Australia, Jim has a branch near you.
- Cleaning Equipment – It is essential that you have everything you need prior to starting the clean, with items such as brooms, mops, dustpans, cleaning solutions, buckets and lots of bin bags. If family members are helping out, make sure there is adequate supplies of everything, even if it means a trip to your nearest hardware store.
- Pick a Dry Weekend – While the weather is never certain, you should be able to choose a dry weekend to carry out the decluttering and cleaning. This will allow you to leave unwanted items outside, and if it is dry, you won’t be walking mud into the house.
- Start with the Attic – There is probably things in your loft that have been there since you moved in, as most homeowners use the attic to store things they never use. It can be difficult to decide what to throw away and what to keep, even more so if you are a hoarder. In the event you have something that still works fine but you no longer have a use for it, you could either donate it to a charity or sell it in the local classifieds.
- One Room at a Time – This is the way professional house cleaners work, starting with the upstairs and working down, and by using this system, you won’t be walking over areas you have already cleaned. Once a room has been cleaned, open the windows and close the door, then move onto the next room, and if you a few helpers, you can finish in a weekend.
- Removing All Unwanted Items – This should be done prior to any cleaning, and with the right sized skip outside, you can go ahead and put everything you don’t want into the skip. If there are items you are unsure about, put them to one side and you can decide what to do them at a later stage, rather than wasting time now.
We were named a top decluttering and renovation expert by Redfin. Check out the article we were featured in: 21 DIY Kitchen Renovation Tips for a Makeover On a Budget.
We should all have a good clean out at least once a year, which will leave the home looking clean and uncluttered, and as the name suggests, a spring clean is best carried out in the spring, just before the arrival of summer.