A flat roof is a common way of covering houses. These types of roofs are economical and cheap compared to the average cost of pitched roofs. But due to climatic conditions and the negative environmental impact, premature destruction of shelters occurs, which leads to time to replace the flat roof. For a successful roof replacement, you must use quality materials and professional local roof contractors.
A flat roof replacement costs a lot. To avoid bringing the roof to a critical state, carrying out a planned inspection and local repairs is recommended if such a need arises. Under the influence of precipitation, temperature changes, and mechanical factors, the roofing material is destroyed. A type of flat roof is especially susceptible to water damage due to its application as a covering of soft flat roof materials.
What is needed for flat roof installation?
The essence of capital repair consists of completely replacing the current roofing material. To perform the work, the roof installer will need the following::
- a seam cutter,
- a breaker,
- a concrete mixer,
- a gas burner (optional),
- a scoop shovel,
- a laser level.
Flat roof replacement technology:
- The complete dismantling of the damaged roll cover is being carried out. The working surface is cleaned using stiff brushes, shovels, and grinding machines. The removed roofing material is cut into small sheets, which are folded separately. The old roofing must be taken to a specialized landfill after dismantling.
- A visual inspection of the working surface is conducted, during which its technical condition is determined. If a concrete screed is damaged, then it must be dismantled. Special breakers are used to remove the concrete layer. After cleaning, the surface is moistened with water.
- Linear guides are being installed. When installing, observe the sloped roofs at 3-5% from the center to the roof’s edges.
- The concrete screed is poured. For this, the mixture is served in portions, starting from the center of the roof.
- After pouring and distribution, the concrete screed is covered with polyethylene. In this state, the roof’s surface must be moistened with water 2-3 times a day for seven days. The total drying time of the concrete layer is 28 days.
- Roll or membrane coating is laid after the concrete screed has wholly dried.
- After the screed dries, the surface is cleaned of abrasive particles. Next, the vapor barrier diffusion membrane is laid. Vapor insulation is applied with an overlap of 10-15 cm relative to the adjacent row.
- A mineral or basalt wool insulation is placed on the concrete screed.
- A thin-layer concrete screed is poured. After the second layer of concrete screed dries, begin laying the modified bitumen.
- The roofing material is mounted in a run with an overhang on the sides of the roof. If a roll type of material is used, the surface is lubricated with a primer. Then the material is applied.
- Roof systems and other accessories are installed at the final stage.
Conclusion about flat roof replacement
In each case, the capital repair of a flat roof may have pros and cons. To a large extent, this is related to the operational condition of the roof. But in general, the capital repair is easy to install and consists of dismantling, cleaning, preparing the old surface, and laying the single-ply roofing materials.